Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Art of Audio #1: "Did you hear THAT?"

The Joe Bev Experience


The Art of Audio #1




My dad bought me a Panasonic cassette recorder in 1971, I was 12 years old.


Listen to my Father's Day story for NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday
It was the beginning of summer. June. Last day of school. The smell of cut grass as a walk up our driveway. Clear blue sky. Sun on my face and arms. Dad trimming a bush in front of our house.

Me (Joe Bev.) in 1963




I remember the day so well because it was the day my future was set. I soon became an audio artist.



I had been drawing a series of silly nine panel cartoons of Willaby and the Professor, as I called them then. Hundreds of pages. Serialized. In Hanna-Barbera style. Ring around the mouth.



Listen to me improvising Willaby (Willoughby)
Meets the Godfather in 1972 when I was 13









Now I had a way to record their voices!


Men, women, young, old, babies, dogs, cats, otters, every accent on the planet poured out of my mouth. 

Joe Bev Rubber Face

Within a few years, I was on the radio. Reel to reel. Stereo. Digital. 3-D.

Listen to Chapter 17 of Ancient Rising by Jc De La Torre.

Today my work is enjoyed around the world. That makes me happy! 

But how can audio be art? Tune in next time and find out...

Best to you all,

Joe Bev.

Joe Bevilacqua is a veteran award-winning actor, writer, author and producer. His audio is available at Amazon, iTunes, and Audible for Kindle, Blackberry, Android, iPhone, iPod or iPad download, or CD purchase or rental. Find out more!

1 comment:

GET THE WATERLOGG PRODUCTION APP and listen to all the PODCASTS in on place!

Waterlogg Podcasts
Powered by Conduit Mobile